Category: Adopteed Child Perception
Topic: Adopted Child's Self-Image
What Self-Image Is:
- Self-image resulting from how the individual sees himself or herself.
- Self-image resulting from how others see the individual.
- Self-image resulting from how the individual perceives others see him or her.
Poor Self-Image In Adopted Children
Children’s Self-Image Disparity
Evolved Awareness of Self-Image in the Mirror
- From about 6 through 12 months of age, the first prolonged and repeated reaction of an infant to his mirror image is that of a sociable “playmate”.
- In the second year of life, wariness and withdrawal appeared; self-admiring and embarrassed behavior accompanied those avoidance behaviors starting at 14 months, and was shown by 75% of the subjects after 20 months of age.
- During the last part of the second year of life, from 20 to 24 months of age, 65% of the subjects demonstrated recognition of their mirror images.