Narcissistic Adoptive Mother's Defense Mechanisms
Insights to the working mind of the narcissistic adoptive mother's cruelty, criticism and calculation.
- unconscious repression
- conscious denial
- distortion (including exaggeration and minimization) and lies
- psychological projection (blaming somebody else)
- enlisting the help of one or more of his or her codependent friends who will support his or her distorted view.
Otto Fenichel considered that “identification, performed by means of introjection, is the most primitive form of relationship to objects” a primitive mechanism only used “if the ego's function of reality testing is severely damaged by a narcissistic regression.”
Object relations theory
- Sir Phillip Sidney is said to have seen poetry in itself as a narcissistic defense.
- Jean-Paul Sarter's aloof, detached protagonists have been seen as crude narcissists who preserve their sense of self only by petrifying it into solid form.