- The mother and child are alone. Observation of the use of the mother as a secure base, who fosters exploratory behavior and independence.
- A stranger enters the room, which shows the effects of stranger anxiety.
- The mother leaves the child, which shows the effects of separation anxiety. The strange tries to comfort the child, which tests the effects of stranger anxiety.
- The mother returns and the stranger leaves. Observation of reunion behavior.
- The parent leaves and the child once more; separation anxiety is tested for.
- The stranger returns and tries to comfort the infant; stranger anxiety is tested for.
- The parent returns and the stranger leaves. Once more, observation of reunion behavior.