About Adoptee Rage

Statistics Identify large populations of Adoptees in prisons, mental hospitals and committed suicide.
Fifty years of scientific studies on child adoption resulting in psychological harm to the child and
poor outcomes for a child's future.
Medical and psychological attempts to heal the broken bonds of adoption, promote reunions of biological parents and adult children. The other half of attempting to repair a severed Identity is counselling therapy to rebuild the self.

Monday, April 1, 2013

Secret, Hidden, and Disregarded Adoption Studies 1940's

Adoptee Rage

Digging deep to find the professional observation studies of
pediatric doctors, who were finding unrealistic numbers of adopted children committed to mental facilities and found
these numbers alarming., But why the secrecy?

 IDENTITY:
1974 Dr Triseliotis in his research paper on Identity and Adoption, gives examples of adoptees views on identity.
1st adoptee,
"I look in the mirror and cannot recognise myself".
2nd adoptee,
"I feel there is something about adoption that gives you a feeling of insecurity as regards just exactly who you are".
3rd adoptee,
"I feel that I am only a half a person, the other half obscured by my adoption".
4th adoptee,
"I never really felt I belonged. I feel empty and I find it difficult to make friends or be close to people. I have been hovering on the edge of a break down".

One of the main anxieties of adoptees is the fear of being different and somewhat set apart from the rest.
The adopted child has to gradually accept the loss of his natural parent,
parents and the "rejection" this implies. Yet he has to also accomodate a preferably positive image of the original set of parents and their genealogy in his developing self.
Children who are adopted into a different culture will still need to identify with aspects of their original heritage.

19